PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal, Ryan, Chicago office
- Serves as a client advocate and liaison for client litigation and governmental issues, including tax issues within state, local, and federal agencies.
- Principal, Controversies and Appeals, Ryan
- Partner, two major law firms in the city of Chicago for 23 years
- Focused on litigation and other actions involving tax, consumer, and deceptive business practices.
- Effective business advocate in local, state, and federal government enforcement proceedings.
- Represented clients in complex class action and multistate regulatory enforcement actions.
- Presented cases before the Supreme Courts of Illinois and Florida and the United States Supreme Court.
- Significant experience representing clients before local, state, and federal administrative and regulatory agencies, including the Illinois Department of Insurance, the Illinois Department of Revenue, the Department of Professional Regulation, and the Illinois Commerce Commission.
- Effectively represented clients before the U.S. Tax Court and before many state and federal trial and appellate courts and agencies.
PUBLIC SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Mr. Hayes worked in the Illinois Attorney General’s Office for almost 17 years and held the following positions:
- Deputy Attorney General, Illinois Attorney General’s Office
- First Assistant Attorney General, Illinois Attorney General’s Office
- Director of Advocacy, Illinois Attorney General’s Office
- Chief, General Law Division
- Deputy Chief, General Law Division and Chief of Special Litigation Division
Mr. Hayes is a frequent speaker addressing civic and governmental audiences on local, state, and federal regulatory issues. He serves as counsel to the City Club of Chicago, the highly respected public affairs forum in Illinois.
BOARD & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- City Club of Chicago
- Fenwick Bar Association
EDUCATION & ACCREDITATION
- Juris Doctor Degree, DePaul University School of Law
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Political Science, Loyola University